InvestorPlace once again offered up its 10 best stocks for the year with our annual stock-picking contest, featuring 10 buy-and-hold plays from 10 market experts. The goal is to deliver outsized returns from Dec. 31, 2012 to Dec. 31, 2013 without trading in-between.
In today’s podcast, Charles Sizemore of Sizemore Capital Management and I talk about half of the picks and offer our personal take on the investments. On the whole, we’re very bullish for the list in terms of retirement portfolios … but we do handicap the short-term potential of each pick in terms of this “swing for the fences” contest where you’re trying for big gains in a horizon of just 12 months.
The picks we cover include:
- REIT Two Harbors (NYSE:TWO) from Steve Freehill. Read his original recommendation here in “One Big Reason to Own TWO.”
- Mexico-based FEMSA (NYSE:FMX) from Jon Markman. Read his original recommendation here in “Quench Your Thirst for Growth With Femsa.”
- Paint giant Sherwin-Williams (NYSE:SHW) from Louis Navellier. Read his original recommendation here in “Paint Your Portfolio Green With Sherwin-Williams.”
- River infrastructure play Great Lakes Dredge & Dock (NASDAQ:GLDD). From Greg Harmon. Read his original recommendation here in “Great Upside for Great Lakes Dredge & Dock.”
- Automaker Daimler (PINK:DDAIF), picked by Charles himself. Read his original recommendation here in “Daimler: Ride in Style in 2013.”